About this Blog

Okay, so here’s the deal: not long ago (in Heart Health month, no less) I started on my journey as ORC’s Mystery Mover. Since then, I have been chronicling my transformation from gym-class zero to gym-class hero. I am happy to share a few excerpts from my journal in the hope that it inspires a few others out there like me (or at the very least stirs up a little compassion)!

Saturday, 4 February 2012

A Warm Hello and A Kiss Goodbye

Okay, I just came back from my first session at ORC and I have to say – I’m pretty excited! It was actually sort of great. I went in and met with Gabriella in Membership who literally couldn’t be nicer and more welcoming. My anxiety was getting pretty high but she showed me everything, introduced me to so many people (how does she know every single person there?) and generally got me excited about trying out the programs. Somehow in her capable hands the thought “sure, I could totally try squash” crossed my hand/eye coordination challenged mind.  A warm and fuzzy beginning to my journey for sure!

 Then the hammer dropped. I had to change and make my way upstairs to the dreaded Fitness Assessment. I knew it would be bad. It’s sort of like waiting for the bank receipt to print at the ATM or watching the total increasing at the Target register – you know the number will be nasty. You know generally what it’s going to be. But you can’t help scrunching up your face and watching out of one eye anyway – hoping for a surprise.
 
Well, there was no surprise here. The number was in the ballpark I thought it would be and let me tell you, this is a large ballpark. But, I unscrunched my face and opened my other eye and looked at the number. Really looked. And said goodbye. Because the good thing about this number is that I’ll never see it again. It’s my before. And you can’t get to after without being hit up in the head with before.  Now, I don’t really want to share ALL the horror with you, but just so you can keep tabs on me (and to keep me honest), I will share my % of body fat and BMI. Now prepare yourself and no judging – 39.1% and 29.7 respectively. I know right? Ouch!! I’ll give you a monthly update and see how it goes. My 6 month goal? To get down to 30% body fat and 26% BMI. I think that is both reasonable and doable. With a little jiggling of course J.

No comments:

Post a Comment