About this Blog

Okay, so here’s the deal: not long ago (in Heart Health month, no less) I started on my journey as ORC’s Mystery Mover. Since then, I have been chronicling my transformation from gym-class zero to gym-class hero. I am happy to share a few excerpts from my journal in the hope that it inspires a few others out there like me (or at the very least stirs up a little compassion)!

Friday, 13 April 2012

It's the Pits

So I’m getting pretty good on my trusty treadmill. I actually look forward to going to the gym, plugging in my headphones and working on a sweat while watching Criminal Minds (which, by the way, is awesomely on basically all day). I go at a quick pace (getting faster all the time) and a steep incline. It feels great. But there is a downside: Picking a treadmill is fraught with peril. For instance, I have a favourite treadmill. It is not directly in front of the court so there is no glare on the monitor, it is close to the sanitizing spray and wipes and sort of tucked away a bit from the core of the fitness centre. I love it. But…what to do if someone is on my treadmill or worse, there is someone on the one beside it who looks less than "fresh"? Now I know that not everyone showers BEFORE coming to the gym, I totally get that. But seriously, if you’ve been eating raw onions or curry, please Febreeze yourself before we get in close contact. Just today I made the mistake of using my fave treadmill even though there was a very sweaty young man on the one beside me. I should’ve waited and watched for a minute because what I didn’t know is that he was a pit-runner! Yes, the kind of person who when they hit their stride they lock their hands behind their head and put on the heat while giving their neighbours a full blast of pit perfume. Not good. I didn’t know what to do exactly. Would it be unforgivably rude to simply get off and move to another treadmill? After all, other than being a pit runner, the young man seemed like a lovely sort and I wouldn’t want to offend him. Forget the treadmill and find an elliptical machine with better air quality? But then I would miss Criminal Minds…hmmmm.   Finally, I took the chicken route out and pretended I saw someone I knew across the room. I did a wave, and motioned I would come talk to them. I ducked out, got a drink and returned to fresh treadmill! Victory!!

No comments:

Post a Comment